Relax, It'll happen...

A couple trying to become a family. Finally pregnant after infertility & IVF...slowly getting used to the idea that we may actually have the baby we've been dreaming of.

Monday, January 16, 2006

A second look

I am a bad blogger...actually these days I am just plain old boring and don't have much to write about.

Today was the second ultrasound, mainly to check on the status of the second sac. Thank God that it was today, because all day I was flipping out due to the fact that I am spotting. Now I know that they said I would probably spot and not to be concerned if it was brown ( which it is) But I was very concerned. The ultrasound shows one itty bitty baby that is measuring exactly 7w2d with a heartbeat of 150. We got to see and hear the heartbeat...The best sound I have ever heard. And we still have a second sac. It is half the size of the other and now it has a heartbeat - the heartbeat is not fast enough and basically there is little reason to believe that the second baby has any chance of being viable. Most likely it is a "Vanishing twin" that has not vanished. We will go for another ultrasound next Monday.

I am so thankful for the one baby that is thriving.

Last week I made my first OB appointment. She wanted to know the first day of my last period. I explained that I had gone thru IVF and I could tell her the hour that conception took place. She said I needed to make an appointment for the 9th week, so I picked a day

her:"No, we need you to be in the 9th week"

me: "I will be 9 weeks on the 28th"

her: "Not according to the wheel"

me: "fine" and picked an alternative date

her: "once you have an ultrasound we will be able to know how far along you are"

A) What part of "I know the hour of conception" is confusing

B) I don't give a fuck what the wheel says!!

I think that my reaction is a direct result of IF. I have waited a long time and worked damn hard to get pregnant and I don't want some receptionist taking even one day of this pregnancy away from me. I will be going to my first appointment on the 31st. My clinic alternates appointments between the Dr and Nurse Practioner (NP). The NP that I picked was recomended to me because she likes to do ultrasounds during most visits. This is a good thing, because I think I am addicted. I've had one at 6 weeks. 7 weeks, will have one at 8 weeks and at 9 weeks at the OB appointment.

The confirmation of pregnancy by the ultrasounds is definitely reassuring, as I still don't really have any obvious symptoms. My boobs are mildly soar, no nausea - just an occasional uneasy feeling in my stomach, and I am pretty wiped out by the evening. All quite vague.

Really I have not been up to much. Taking it easy. Watched the football games this weekend - football is really not as much fun without the beer. Made a pot of butternut squash soup. It sounded great yesterday and it was, today it doesn't sound so great. That's another thing, I get really hungry and nothing sounds appealing. I did have a talk with my boss today (albeit VERY early) about how much I'll be working after the baby is born. This was brought up by her, like I've said before - for normal people pregnant=baby... Despite me feeling a bit uneasy about the timing of the conversation, she was fine with me cutting back to 2 days a week. One less thing for me to worry about. God knows I can come up with enough other things to stress about.

4 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Portlairge said...

If I worked in a OB-Gyn office and a new patient wanted to come in who was pregnant from IVF, I'D LET HER TELL ME WHEN SHE NEEDED TO COME IN. WTF. Sorry for shouting. IVF is common enough these days for her to know that you know what you are talking about You were so nice about it too!

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

So much about our stories are similar. It's uncanny. I am so glad that you were able to hear the heartbeat. We heard ours for the first time yesterday and it really is incredible. It makes me want to rent one of those dopplers so we can hear the heartbeat whenever we want. And wtf with your OB's receptionist? I agree with portlairge. Put down the wheel and use your brain, woman!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger April said...

I'm sorry to hear about the second embryo. My thoughts are with you. Even though you have so much to be happy for, I am still sorry you have to go through another type of loss.

And the receptionist? Ugh. Blech even.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home